You may have seen the news that the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency have approved the Oxford/Astra Zenica COVID-19 vaccine. This is alongside the Pfizer vaccine which has been used so far in Hospitals and other mass vaccination sites.
Although this is welcome news, we would kindly ask patients not contact West Point to enquire about vaccination. We do not have any further information currently. Patients will be invited to make an appointment when vaccines are made available and in line with the Priority Group schedule.
When can I expect an appointment?
We understand that patients will be contacted according to Priority Groups set out by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI). We expect this to start in the coming weeks.
Where will the vaccinations be given?
It is likely that you will be invited to a site either locally or within Central Manchester. Currently, there are no plans to offer any COVID-19 vaccinations at individual Practices, although we expect this will change over time.
Will I be able to choose which vaccination I want?
It is unlikely that patients will be offered a choice of vaccination.
What are the Priority Groups?
We do not know when or if the programme will extend to healthy people under the age of 50. The programme is scheduled to run to August 2021.
- Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers.
- All those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers.
- All those 75 years of age and over.
- All those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals.
- All those 65 years of age and over.
- All individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality.
- All those 60 years of age and over.
- All those 55 years of age and over.
- All those 50 years of age and over.
Patients will be called for vaccination at the appropriate time, allowing for the delivery of vaccinations, and we kindly ask you to wait to be contacted.
Many thanks for your patience.
West Point Medical Centre